Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Being a housewife

Words cannot express how angry I am about Hilary Rosen's comment towards Ann Romney.  "She has never worked a day in her life."  Talk about under appreciating mothers!  When did feminism turn from women's rights to women must work to have rights.  This is beginning to feel like our country is digressing.

According to Hilary Rosen, as a house wife I know nothing about the economy because I've "never worked a day in [my] life".  Well Hilary, I hate to be the barer of awesome news, but I work my rear end off.  And I don't get money for it.

I buy groceries, so I get to see first hand the effect our economy has on our food.  Prices have shot up on food since Obama became president.  I pay for the gas on my car.  I buy clothing for my family.  Pay bills!  What more do I need to know about the economy?  Obviously you don't know much about it, Hilary, or you and the Obama administration would have fixed it by now.

As a stay at home mother I don't get a lunch break, or a coffee break (even though I don't drink coffee), I don't get to take the day off when I'm sick or tired or hungry.  The meals I miss are because I'm busy getting snacks or cleaning up yet another spilled mess.  Then when it's bed time, I'm not actually done working.  There's still washing dishes and vacuuming and picking up toys that were left out.  When I do get to go to bed, I'm on call.  I get woken up in the middle of the night by either crying (someone lost their pacifier or had a nightmare) or my five year old daughter has decided she needs to announce to me that she has to use the potty.  And when they're sick, then I'm usually up with them until they fall asleep.  Checking on them every so often when they catch croup.  Nights spent worrying on how they'll do.

And then there are the skill requirements needed for the job.  Math, spelling, reading, writing, use of a computer, how to tie shoe laces, cooking, cleaning, home decorating.  There are more requirements in being a housewife than any other job out there.

That doesn't include the volunteer work I do at my church, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints".  I'm the Young Women President.  I plan activities, teach sunday school lessons, practice crafts at home to make sure they'll work out on our wednesday night activities.  Hold meetings with the rest of my presidency to make sure we are doing all we can for our girls.

Do I get paid?  Yes.  Maybe I don't get paid with money, but seeing my children happy and my husband arriving home in a good mood is all the payment I need.  The fact that they help me around the house when I have too much to do, is my bonus at the end of the day.  And when I do my church duties, I am rewarded with the excitement they feel and when they all return the following week and show up on Sunday.

So Hilary Rosen.  YES WE DO WORK!  We aren't rich with money, but we are rich with the craziness of our children.  And you do NOT have to have money to be a housewife!  I say all this because someone has to be a voice to women everywhere and housewives everywhere.  I am both of those and I am proud of it!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sick and tired of the Women War on Women. Seriously, when did we turn into a bunch of douche bags. :)

    Excellent post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE did not. Just the feminists did. ;) Bunch of sexist women hating on their own sex. Misogynists! Never thought there would come a day when I would refer to other women as female chauvinist pigs!

      And thank you! *bows*

      Delete
  2. I am sad that other women have to cut on those women who stay at home to raise families and do not hold "paying" jobs. Just because they do not hold jobs that bring in money does not mean a woman isn't educated. You are right, women who stay at home contribute to paying the bills, buying goods and products for the family so they are definitely huge contributing factors to our economy!

    Not only that, do we live in an age where every stay at home mother skipped their school days and skipped earning an education? We have no clue how the basic fundamentals of how "our" government works and is ran? It seems as though that this Hillary woman is not very educated herself if she feels that women all over this country will fall for CRAZY BS.

    I on the other hand see this going two ways, this can be taken as a woman vs woman story as well as a party vs party battle. Our society is so messed up. When will we have people willing to fight for what is RIGHT rather than the money issues or their ideals? When will we be able to have politicians and representatives that are willing to get into office to fight for OUR beliefs and make sure our interests and NEEDS are spoken for rather than their own? It doesn't seem like their are many politicians or government officials out there today that seem to stand for OUR VOICES either.

    It is very sad that people cannot understand that the job of being a mother or a parent in general is just as important to bringing in an income. Maybe if we were living in the 50s it would have been an acceptable comment to make about women staying home and not knowing what it is like to not work, now even with times being different and even with a lot of households needing both parents to still work it is also VERY IMPORTANT for people to not overlook the fact that parenting is also THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB THERE IS!!! In my opinion that is the problem with our society today, we are all about how much money we have to make because everything is becoming so expensive... But do people really understand how many issues within the family this is really causing for families? How children really suffer? Children who are not fortunate to have their parents around or involved can have major issues. (Please do not take as I am saying that every child with working parents suffer because I am not saying this at all!)

    So Hillary you can go ahead and cut on those women who are stay at home parents instead of holding down a full-time job at some point of their lives... It is because of these types of people that allow children to grow stronger, keep our economy running, and they are citizens who care about important voting matters. What makes Hillary so special to judge anyway? Why have her jobs been so important anyway?

    Good blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment.

      If we were in the 50's, the only people making that comment would have been misogynist men. LOL now it's women! Backwards world and more proof that history repeats itself.

      It is harder on the children when their mother's work. And as a mother, you end up missing out on a lot. Some people work because they have to. Some people work because they want to. Honestly it doesn't matter, your choice all the way. And that was my point. Why can't my choice matter too? Why do I have to be on the "lazy" spectrum because I chose to care for my family instead of holding down a paying job and a job that doesn't pay.

      I don't judge other mothers for their choices (unless they're drug addicts, but that's a whole other category), so I don't see why mine and many other women like me should be judged for ours.

      What makes her THINK she's so special? She's a democratic pundit and works a lot with the Obama administration. Apparently being a pundit and a lobbyist is way more important than motherhood...

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
    2. The children are the ones who suffer and that was my point totally, and the point that she is obviously missing by making her mindless comments while making women look stupid altogether. It is sad that we live in this day and age even though we are so much more advanced!

      I am sure she is regretting her comments now and so is the Democratic party for sure! Because it doesn't matter what party, there are stay at home mothers in all parties that take care of their children and have never worked a day in their lives because they have chosen to and they do know about the economy and the impact that EVERY president and politician plays on it.

      Lindsay you are definitely important and your voice matters just like the rest of ours does. She just happens to be on tv where her SILLY and STUPID voice gets heard. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK THAT YOU DO EVERYDAY GIRL!!!

      ~Ann

      Delete