Friday, December 14, 2012

Wearing pants to church on Sunday

I needed a topic to pick me up today.  This one helps a bit to not focus on the otherwise sad news that I'm sure the entire world is aware of today.  So, instead of depressing everyone further, I'm talking about another topic.

Pants at church on Sunday.  Men, I really hope you keep wearing them.  I'm actually begging here.  I don't want to see you cross dressing in your wife's skirt or christmas dress.  It's not a statement, it's a fashion faux pas.  And maybe I'm behind the times and cross dressing is cool now, which I really hope it isn't, but you really should just keep wearing your best clothes to church.  Please let it be pants.

When you hear about women wearing pants to church on facebook, you know it's official.  Being an LDS housewife, I read the whole thing and it speaks to me more like a protest.  For what?  Don't ask me.  I know women who wear nice dress pants to church and hey if that's how she wants to worship the Lord, cool.  But to make it a world wide event?  Sounds like a protest.  But what are they demanding?  I really don't know.

That said, I think you should dress for church, the way you would dress if you were entering the temple.  Why?  Because when you get up on Sunday morning and open your closet door to get ready for church, your instinct should not be what do I feel like wearing?  Or if you're single, what will that cute guy think of me in this?  Here is what you should be asking yourself:  If the savior stood beside me, would I want him to see me worshiping him in this?

You see, when we go to church, we don't go for ourselves or the people we go to church with (ward, for the LDS reader).  We go to church for the Lord.  He commanded us to do it.  So we should dress for him, right?  So instead of thinking of your statement and protest or whatever it is you want to call it.  Please, think of the Lord.  He's the one who actually counts and there isn't a man who respects women and children more than He does.

If this post upsets you in any way shape or form, you're just too sensitive.

UPDATE:
If you're female and you think your pants are your best outfit, then wear them.  I'm just saying, dress your best.  It's the Lord's house, not your own or your neighbors.

1 comment:

  1. I always associated going to Church or the Synagogue with wearing my best clothes. That never included jeans or trousers because well, those are never the best clothes. Going to worship, to me, it means to go home. I for one like to dress up, even put on make up, which is quite an accomplishment lol, and I do it because I want G-d to know that I care, that I am doing this because I'm glad he's my Father and I like to in his presence along with the rest of my community.

    I hope the women behind this, put their time for better use.

    ReplyDelete